We are well in to the Autumn season; summer has passed, and the red leaves are falling. This only means one thing; Halloween is just around the corner and not long after is Guy Fawkes Night. Whilst we’re enjoying a pumpkin spice latté and deciding what the children should wear for their Halloween party, we mustn’t forget the furry members of the family. Halloween and Bonfire Night can be particularly stressful for pets, especially young puppies and kittens, as loud noises can scare even the humans of the family. We thought we’d give you a few ideas to help keep your pet safe at this noisy time of year.
10 Tips to Help Keep Your Pet Safe and Calm This Halloween and Bonfire Night
• Creat a cosy den for your pet in the lead up to the events. A safe space is essential for your pet to retreat to where they will feel most safe. A hooded bed for cats and maybe a crate with a cover for dogs will help them feel cocooned and protected when the noise levels rise.
• Stay calm. Your pet will notice the way you behave in unusual situations. If you remain calm it will have a calming influence on them and help reassure them that there is nothing to worry about.
• Keep all windows and doors shut, including cat flaps. You don’t want your pet fleeing in fright, so best keep them secured in the house. This will also help keep noise levels from outside to a minimum.
• Keep your cat entertained with plenty of toys and scratchers. It’s best to keep even your outdoor cats indoors during this period, so keep them entertained with a series of toys to keep them occupied.
• Always walk your dog well before the fireworks are likely to begin.
• Keep the TV or radio on and keep the volume reasonably high. Music with a distinctive beat can mask the sound of loud noises outside.
• On Halloween makes sure human treats are kept well away from pets. This includes any edibles, but also lit pumpkins.
• If your dog or cat don’t like being dressed up, then please don’t force them to wear a costume. You could try to introduce costumes well in advance to help get them used to them. You don’t want to add any extra stress to already an noisy evening.
• Be cautious when answering the door to trick-0r-treaters as you dont want your pets to escape through the open door.
• Don’t handle cats if they’re scared. Cats prefer to be in full control when they are in stressful situations.
• Following these simple steps should at least make your pets home feel like a safe space even with the loud noises outside. You could also try using one of our Pet remedy pet calming products to help relax your nervous pet.
Pet Remedy at Lords & Labradors
Our Pet Remedy products are designed to help destress your nervous pet in a range of situations. These are not just ideal for Halloween and Bonfire Night, but are also useful whenever your pet may be stressed or anxious. Made from a selection of essential oils, they are totally safe and begin to work immediately. The range includes the Plug-in-Diffuser and the Calming Spray which are suitable for all kinds of pets.
We also stock the popular Karma Wrap Anti-Anxiety Dog Coat. The Karma Warp applies a slight pressure arounf the girth of your dog, like a gentle hug, which helps induce a sense of security.
Halloween and Bonfire Night should be fun for all the family and as long as you take note of the things we mention, there’s no reason not to enjoy them. Take care, be safe and enjoy the festivities!
If you have any further questions do get in touch. We’re always happy to answer any of your queries.