Spooky season is here! And households all over the nation will likely find themselves surrounded by a whole host of sweet treats and snacks, ready for trick-or-treaters to arrive at the door.
It seems pup owners are certainly preparing to protect their four-legged friends from the food-heavy holiday seasons ahead, with 2,400 Google searches for ‘what can’t dogs eat’ in the past month.
With this in mind, Johanna Buitelaar-Warden, Founder of Lords and Labradors has highlighted four toxic foods that you should never give to your dog and how to keep your pets away from potentially harmful snacks
Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin?
In short, yes, your dog can eat pumpkin flesh. Pumpkins are found in a lot of dog food and may even be an ingredient in the meals they already eat.
However, to stay safe, avoid feeding your pooch the prickly stalk – whilst this is not toxic, it may cause irritation in your dog's mouth and harm once ingested.
It’s also important to remove the pumpkin skin before serving your dog up some pumpkin, as this can act as a choking hazard. If ingested, this can be a serious risk of gut obstruction.
Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?
Be aware, that chocolate is notoriously dangerous for dogs!
This is because chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which even in small doses can provide serious problems for your dog. Issues can range from mild stomach upsets, to more serious complications like seizures and cardiac arrests.
To ensure your pet remains safe and healthy, keeping chocolate treats away from your dog is essential to their wellbeing – whether you have a little puppy, or a full-grown adult dog.
Can Dogs Eat Sweets?
From sugar-free chewy fangs to jelly eyeballs, artificial sweeteners can be even more detrimental to your dog’s health than sugar.
These types of sweet treats commonly include an ingredient called Xylitol – which is highly forbidden for dogs – as this can potentially result in toxicity, which can set in as early as 30 minutes after ingestion. Complications from Xylitol can pose a danger to your dog’s blood sugar levels and liver function.
Can Dogs Eat Popcorn Or Crisps?
Just like humans, dogs can handle a certain amount of salt in their daily diet. However, high levels of this, found in snacks like popcorn and crisps, can cause complications such as sodium or ion poisoning for your four-legged friend.
This can cause a whole host of complications, ranging from a high fever and vomiting to excessive thirst, seizures and kidney damage.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins Or Grapes?
Although households that hand out fruit on Halloween may have your children’s best interests in mind, healthier snacks like raisins, grapes and sultanas can make your dog seriously poorly if consumed. They can cause gut problems in pups, and in some cases, kidney damage.
The toxic dose varies from dog to dog but can be very little in some cases – meaning that they will only have to eat a small portion to become seriously unwell.
Are puppies at a higher risk?
Whilst it’s important to keep dogs of all ages away from toxic foods like chocolate, high-salt snacks, and sugar-free alternatives, this is especially important for puppies.
Puppy food contains a balance of proteins, enzymes and other nutrients that are designed especially for their health and growth – therefore, overindulging or nibbling on the wrong food item can cause both immediate, and long-term complications for your fur baby.
When rich or fatty foods are consumed as a puppy, the risk of diseases such as pancreatis increases. Essentially, this can lead to a lifetime of gut sensitivity for your precious pooch. And extra calories outside of a healthy balanced diet may lead to obesity, contributing to a shorter lifespan as an adult.
Tricks To Keep Your Dogs Away From Poisonous Food
- Distance your pet from trick-or-treaters: it’s a good idea to keep your dog in another part of the house where they will be safe when trick-or-treaters come knocking.
- Provide their own special treats to reduce temptation: giving your pet some tasty, dog-friendly treats, such as Barking Bakery’s Doggy Popcorn or Denzel’s Toffee Apple Soft Sticks is a great substitute for toxic human sweets and chocolate.
- Have a plan for storing sweets: It’s important to have a plan for where the sweets will be stored, as leaving these on floors, tables, or any other easy-reachable surface becomes a hazard for your dog.
- Ensure household members, and visitors, are aware: make sure to review the list of toxic foods with everyone in your household to ensure your pet is as safe as possible – and don’t forget to inform potential guests who may want to give your pooch a tasty treat!
If the worst-case scenario happens and you think your dog may have eaten something harmful, it’s important to treat this as an emergency and contact your local veterinarian straight away. Keep monitoring your pooch just in case they display any unusual behaviour, such as: vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, excessive thirst, rapid heartbeat or seizures.
Want to treat your dog to some terrifically tasty treats which they can eat this Halloween, why not check out our Halloween collection? It's filled with spook-tacular goodies for them to enjoy