We’re having another heatwave here in the UK and here at L&L we know it can be difficult to find ways to keep your dog cool whilst also keeping their busy minds active.
Finding a way to get your dogs energy out without them overheating can be tricky which is why we love frozen KONG’s so much.
Frozen KONG toys are an amazing way to both cool your dog down and keep them engaged. Being frozen it’s harder for your dog to get the food out which gives them more opportunity for problem-solving, mental stimulation and helps fulfill their natural instinct to hunt for food. Frozen KONG’s are great all year round for keeping your four legged friend busy, not just in the heat.
We've put together our tried and tested frozen KONG recipes for you and your precious pooch below.
L&L Top Tips
Put a dry treat at on the hole at the bottom of the KONG to act as a stopper so food can’t get out when it freezes.
Wrap your KONG in cling film so the mixture can set in the freezer without spilling
Check your dogs dietary requirements before giving them any new foods and check with your vet if you are unsure.
Top 5 Frozen KONG Recipes To Use In A Heatwave
1. Peanut butter fro-yo
Dog peanut butter or natural peanut butter which doesn’t contain xylitol
- Ripe Banana – chopped up
- Plain yogurt
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend together until smooth.
- Put the mixture into your KONG with a treat at the bottom and wrap in clingfilm.
- Put in the freezer for 3 hours or until solid.
- Let your dog enjoy.
- Stuff your KONG with your dogs wet food.
- Wrap in Cling film and freeze.
TIP – make sure to remove however much you put in from their daily food allowance
- Chopped Apple
- Add your chopped fruit and water to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and thick.
- Put a treat at the bottom of your KONG and fill with the mixture.
- Wrap in clingfilm and freeze until solid.
- Shredded chicken
- Cooked chopped carrots
- Mashed potatoes
- Layer the mash, chicken and carrots into the KONG making sure to put mash at either end to help seal the KONG.
- Once full put in the freezer and freeze until solid.
- Grated Cheese
- Layer the tuna, cooked rice and cheese into the KONG, we recommend putting a treat at either end to seal the KONG.
- Wrap in cling film and pop in the freeze.
- Freeze until solid and enjoy!
Looking for an easier option? Why not try the KONG easy treat?
Hopefully these help to keep your dog cool this heatwave, why not look at our Top Tips For Keeping Your Pets Cool in Summer?