What To Do If Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee Or Wasp | Lords & Labradors translation missing: en.general.accessibility.skip_to_content
Worldwide Shipping Call Us: 01790 720900
Free Standard UK Shipping on All Orders Over £75!

What To Do If Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee Or Wasp


Dog walking on the beach at sunset

Getting to spend more time outside in the warm weather is one of our favourite things about the Summer months. Long walks exploring new places or just time spent in the garden offers our dogs a feast for the senses in terms of new sights and smells. There are one or two things to be aware of at this time of year though, and one of those is the increase in flying insects. Most are harmless to our pets, but bees and wasps can pose a danger. Here we discuss what to do if your dog is stung by a wasp or a bee and how to spot the signs that they’ve been stung.

Signs that your dog has been stung

Insects are around us a lot at this time of year and we don't always notice that they're even there. You may not know that your dog has been stung straight away and they may not react immediately. Some of the signs to look out for are as follows:

  • Whining
  • Biting the area
  • Drooling
  • Swelling
  • Irritated skin (watch for signs of itching, redness and rashes)

Bee on a yellow flower      Wasp

What to do if your dog is stung

The main thing is not to panic and to try to stay calm. You should try to scrape out the sting if you can  using a bank card or other stiff material and then bathe the area with warm water. It’s important not to squeeze the sting though as this could release more of the poison into your pup’s body.

You could apply ice if you wish, which may soothe the area. Just make sure this isn’t uncomfortable for your dog.

Keep an eye on your dog after they’ve been stung for any signs of an allergic reaction.

Dog lying on the beach

Signs your dog is having an allergic reaction

If your dog has been stung they may show various signs of discomfort. If your dog turns out to be allergic to stings they may experience  a number of different reactions. Here's what to look out for:

  • Swelling
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling

Signs of an allergic reaction:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Collapse
  • Seizure
  • Swelling around the mouth, throat or neck

If you notice any signs of an allergic reaction, consult your vet immediately.

Brown and white dog by the sea

Can you give a dog antihistamines?

There are certain types of human antihistamines that are suitable for dogs, but some can be poisonous. It’s best to consult your vet before administering any kind of medication to ensure you’re giving them something pet safe. Not only is it important to choose the correct product, but also to get the dosage right for your particular dog.

Are some stings more dangerous than others?

Allergies aren’t the only thing to be concerned about. Multiple stings can cause serious problems as can any sting in or around your dog’s mouth. The latter can cause swelling which could potentially lead to difficulty breathing. If you think your dog has a dangerous sting, you should call your vet immediately.


Skin Soothing Aftercare

Beaphar Wound Ointment
Beaphar Beaphar Wound Ointment
From £4.99
Leucillin Antiseptic Skin Care Spray For All Animals

Join us

Sign up for top tips, doggy days out and updates on L&L!

My bag